Monday, July 23, 2007

Capitalismo

I have a lot of money. I want to make more money. I want to introduce cheap produce and other agricultural goods to an industrialized country and its lucrative market.

So, I go to South America with the backing of the government of my industrialized country, pushing for lax trade laws, environmental laws, and labour laws with the corrupt government of some South American country. I buy up land with my mighty foreign currency and hire a bunch of brown people that I know are obviously beneath me to work crops that have little use to the people there, but turn a nice profit when sold back home.

I introduce the use of powerful chemical fertilizers and pesticides - banned in my country - to ensure healthy growth. The corrupt government supports my economic endeavour because they, not the ones doing the work, get a cut of the action. They are so nice, too, to hire guards to police the area, keeping farm hands in line and pesky protesters (environmental and/or humanitarian) out of sight. Why should I have to install the machinery of oppression when I can just borrow and use that which is already in place?

I'm doing everyone a favour: I'm giving much-needed work to the farmers, much-needed money to government officials in two or more countries, much-needed goods in my home market, and, most importantly, much-needed money for me. So you can imagine my surprise that people would even dare think this whole arrangement is a bad thing.

I just don't understand.

2 Comments:

Blogger Delta said...

Nice grafitti. It's always nice to see some proof of political consciousness out there.

24 July, 2007 01:12  
Blogger breakerslion said...

"Greed!" - Secret password to the Addams Family vault. In the case of Third-world capitalism, leave ethics at the door. Isn't "corrupt government" redundant by the way?

26 July, 2007 19:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home